This terror apart from being horrific shows clearly the inept handling of the entire situation. Rapid Action Forces were not deployed rapidly. Total failure of the Govt. and official machinary during the crisis situation shows the level of "preparedness" of the security apparatus in a major city like mumbai. Despite several terrors attacks on mumbai itself the Govt. has done little to keep its citizens safe.
There is no coordination between the central and state government. No plan and strategies to the local police. Lack of training and weaponary would be an understatement to describe the police of mumbai. I dont think it is so expensive that the govt. cannot do the following:
1. Set up Urban Antiterrorist squads for every major indian city.
2. Setup a single federal agency which oversees and commanders all the Intelligence and security related affairs - state and central.
3. Clear command and control and established line of command.
4. Better weaponry and training to this elite antiterrorist squads.
5. A central agency which collects, process and delivers all the intelligent related affairs (step 2).
6. An Israeli style retribution - punish/kill those responsible whereever they are irrespective of their citizenship and the country they live in.
Simple steps that even I can think of - one who does not have any experience in security or intelligence. Not sure why the Govt. can't think of these. Guess if people of India are interested in petty local politics and re-elect these politicians again , then they deserve only more of this.